Families eligible to stay at the Ronald McDonald House for Day Use (live in Cape Elizabeth, Falmouth, Portland, South Portland, Yarmouth, and Westbrook) / Overnight Stay (all other towns including the islands) should meet the following criteria:
- the patient being treated at area hospitals must be 21 years of age or younger,
- a mother is considered a high risk pregnancy,
- families are not contagious with any illnesses, able to answer “no” to all the questions on the Health Form,
- can function appropriately in a community living environment and are in good standing.
- parent(s) must be 18 years of age unless accompanied by a legal parent/guardian or with proof of emancipation or legal marriage provided. If both parents are under 18, they must be accompanied by a legal parent/ guardian. For one parent/legal guardian to take responsibility of a minor who is not their own, a signed note from that minor’s legal parent/guardian is required.
- the primary family member listed on the referral form must have an active permanent residence. Rooms can only be occupied by immediate family members and those extended members who are directly involved in the care of the patient.
If you meet these qualifications, take the next steps:
- Meet with your social worker - Contact your child's assigned social worker for a referral. If a social worker is unavailable, a charge nurse or doctor may provide the necessary information.
- Complete the screening - You will be asked a series of questions by the case manager that must be answered completely.
- Check availability - On the day of your arrival, please contact the House at 207-780-6282 ext.0 to confirm room availability, beginning at 9 am, and verify your check-in time.
Important Notes for Families:
- We never know how long a family may need to stay, therefore we do not take reservations.
- The House operates on a first-come, first serve basis. If a room is not available, families can be put on a waiting list for the following day.
- Families may check-in between 9:00 am and 8:00 pm.
- Once check-in is complete, families are given a key card that permits them to come and go as necessary.
- One room per family and rooms can only be occupied by immediate family members or those extended members who are directly involved in the care of the patient.
- We request $10 per night, however, no family is ever turned away due to inability to pay. Cash, checks and credit cards are accepted.
- Families actively share in keeping the House clean and tidy for themselves and other guests.
- Families must be respectful and tolerant of other families in the House, as they are all facing similar challenges.
Please take our House Tour to become familiar with the Ronald McDonald House